See also Glynne's 19th-century notes on his visits to Shropshire churches


Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Benthall, St Bartholomew 127:SJ658025 Church built 1667. The gallery stair was moved in 1893 to new western apse. Box-pews.   #
Berwick Chapel, Dedication unknown Church built 1672; it has a west gallery, and box-pews.   #
Buildwas, Dedication not known Nave built 1720. The church has a west gallery supported on two posts, with twisted balusters.
Eyton-upon-the-Weald-Moors, Dedication not known The church was built in 1743, and contains a west gallery. No other details known.   #
Great Bolas, Dedication not known Church and fittings date from 1726-9, including a west gallery. No other details known.

Halston Chapel

This is a timber-framed private chapel, belonging to the owners of Halston. The interior is one of the most interesting in the county. It is fully panelled and retains other original fittings of the mid 16th C., but there is no evidence to show whether the building was put up shortly before the Dissolution by the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. or, soon after, by the Mytton family (the Jack Mytton portrayed by Nimrod was Squire of Halston).

On both sides of the small recess which contains the altar are large square pews in one of which a pulpit was erected in 1725 without destroying the pew. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)

There is a west gallery with Georgian Royal Arms and panelled front.
Heath Chapel, a chapel of ease with no known dedication SO556857Up in the hills near Bouldon, the building is principally Norman, wand contains/contained(?) box-pews, two-decker pulpit and altar rails on three sides. This small Norman Church is all that remains of a deserted medieval village, the earthworks of which lie to the north of the chapel. See
Hope Bagot, dedication not known The west gallery is dated 1726.
Hopton Cangeford, dedication unknown An 18th C. church with clear glass, an apse, brick floors and a manor pew.
Langley Chapel, dedication unknown Beautiful and remote, set beside the gateway of Langney Manor House, south of Acton Burnell. 17th C. stone-built bell tower. Inside untouched. Old floors, stone for nave, brick for chancel. Plastered walls; benches with turned knobs and doors; carved and canopied desk for daily offices facing nave. Table away from east end with kneelers around it. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)
*Leebotwood, St Mary the Virgin West gallery carried on ovolo-moulded beam (17th C.); balustrade of stick balusters matches three-sided altar rail and probably dates from 1829 alterations. #
*Longnor, St Mary the Virgin Late 13th C. stone church [no tower] in tree-shaded vicinity to brick-built 17th C. Longnor Hall. Entirely unrestored by the Victorians. Outside stairway to west gallery [at south-west end of nave]. Gothick east iron window tracery; original clear glass. Inside, box-pews, galleries, hatchments, reading-desk and pulpit, old floors, plastered walls. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)

Box pews dated 1723. 18th C. west gallery with wavy splat balusters, possibly of the same date. (No ref. in Pevsner.)
Lydbury North, St Michael Well restored in 1901 . . when the fine 15th C. nave roof was revealed. Cruciform on plan and Norman of two periods with 14th C. north transept and 17th C. south transept. Delightful texture within and without. Rood-screen with plastered tympanum above on which are inscribed the Commandments, great array of 17th C. box-pews, Norman font with 17th C. cover, stone altar in north transept and late 17th C. altar rails. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)
Madeley, All Saints The church has a 17th C. west gallery.
*Melverley, St Peter A timber-framed church from about the 15th C., a mass of supporting timbers internally. Inside, a frame of the building divides chancel from nave, another frame makes a west division, with gallery over and vestry and lobby beneath. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)

The west gallery is balustraded, and may date from 1588 (Randall); date on panelling below gallery. #
Mindtown, Dedication not known 17th. C. west gallery, other details not known . . .
Minsterley Church, Dedication not known Church dates from 1689-90, constructed of brick and stone. The west gallery may be contemporary ? There is also a domed tester over the pulpit.
Moreton Say, Dedication not known 1788 church encased in brick. 1634 west gallery ("one of the finest in Shropshire") with stair and organ. Painted floral designs possibly later (Cox and Harvey).
Onibury, St Michael An aisleless Norman church with stone tower and pebble-dashed nave and chancel. Sensitively restored 1902. Rough hewn oak west gallery with square front and Edward VII carved arms; rough hewn oak pews with oak posts supporting iron lanterns for electric light. plaster walls with hat-pegs; 1902 Commandment boards; red hangings; box-pews at west end. A loving recapturing of village simplicity. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)

1902 lattice front to gallery; 17th C. panelling at rear. #
Pitchford, St Michael Set beside the half-timbered manor hall in a yew-treed churchyard. The church is of pink sandstone, mediaeval and little restored. Inside are 17th C. box-pews, pulpit and communion rails. Wooden effigy of knight in chain-mail, ca. 1230; . . . hatchments. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)
*Quatt, St Andrew Church rebuilt 1763 with brick tower and nave; west gallery and organ date from 1950s.
St Martin's, St Martin Mainly 13th C., but the furnishings are its chief claim to distinction. A inscription over the door records the building of the vestry in 1810. These box-pews (sic) some oak and some deal remain; the double-decker pulpit is hung with Georgian velvet. West gallery, Royal Arms, turned rails round three sides of altar. . . (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)
Shrewsbury, St Chads

Built 1790-92, G Stewart architect. Circular nave; oval entrance; galleried; wide amphitheatre; very long Ionic & Corinthian columns supporting roof, and much use of iron within the columns similar to the construction of  Tetbury church; circular & square tower; Venetian style East window.  Box-pews.  (E1000BC and EPC.) (details: Phillip Shepherd)

Stokesay, St John the Baptist The churchyard borders the moat of Stokesay Castle, a fortified manor house with 17th C. additions. The church, damaged in Civil Wars, was largely rebuilt and refurbished afterwards. Many of the 17th C. furnishings remain, including pews, one canopied and of two storeys, wall texts and a two-decker (originally three-) pulpit. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)

The Georgian west gallery was used by musicians until ca. 1855. Band comprised bass viol, flute and clarinet.  #
Tugford, St Catherine A Village church, with textured exterior. The west gallery said to be partly made from former a screen.
Whitchurch, St Alkmund Built 1712-13 after the old church fell down. It has a red sandstone tower. Inside it has been drastically restored and most of the original clear-glassed round-headed windows are filled with coloured glass. Some good woodwork remains, although pews and pulpit have been cut down and organ moved. Fine Tuscan arcades to the nave. (John Betjeman and Robert Wakeford in CEPC, 1958)

West gallery and fine stair.

Wooden galleries. (Pevsner)

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

See also Glynne's 19th-century notes on his visits to Shropshire churches  

 Hilderstone, Christ Church

Built with the aid of funds made available under the Church Building Acts, the first of which was in 1818. Churches built with the assistance of those funds are known as "Commissioners churches", or "Waterloo churches", since the Church Building Act 1818 was passed in part to commemorate the success in the Battle of Waterloo.

Christ Church, Hilderstone is very much as Thomas Trubshaw designed it. There have been only minor changes to the furnishings. 

Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow


email logo






This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -