The general impression of the church is made
by the retention of the Georgian box-pews. Only a few survive
in such an entirety, and none closer to London than at
Petersham. A fee used to be charged for each family pew, but
there were not enough to seat all the members of the parish,
and one vicar in georgian times noted that parishioners were
"constantly complaining of the injustice of their being
obliged to contribute to the Church rates, without the power
of obtaining a sitting in the church". Pew fees,
however, were long since abolished.
The font dates from 1740, and has an
attractive Jacobean cover.
The pulpit was made in 1796 by a local
carpenter, John Long, and retains the original candle-holders.
The Vicar's desk probably dates from the same
year as the pulpit and may well have formed part of an earlier
three-decker which was dismantled at that time.
The Royal Arms under the chancel arch are
those of George III, and date from 1810. The adjacent shields
represent St Peter and the Dioceses of Canterbury and
The lower part of the tower dates from 1505.
In about 1800 a choir and a small group of musicians were
accommodated in the lower part of the tower and the gallery
above. In 1838 a barrel Organ was installed in the same
gallery, made by J C Bishop. This had three barrels, each
containing 10 hymn tunes. Ten years later a fourth barrel was
In 1853 this instrument was enlarged by
Bishop, into one of two manuals and pedals, and soon
afterwards this was moved to near its present position. It was
again altered in 1914 by Speechly, who made the present case,
and again in 1976. However, in 1981 Bishop's original
specification was restored and some of their original pipework
remains. In 1988 an electric action with a detachable console
was installed and two new ranks of pipes added by Hill, Norman
More detailed information about the church can
be found by reading the history of St Peter's Church,
Petersham, Surrey by Charles D Warren (sidgwick and
The uniform and staff of the former parish
beadle are on display in the Museum of Richmond.