St James

1

The south side of St James's Church, Papplewick, Notts.
 
"The County's best example of Georgian Gothic. It lies in a wood half a mile from the village, at the end of a lane, guarded by two sets of gates. Tower 14th C., but the rest is 1795. The porch is as high as the nave.  Inside there is a plastered ceiling. 

A gallery, with fireplace, extends over the north side of the nave, and gives a cramped, but cosy, effect. Period features include the pulpit, the Royal Arms at the west end, . . . 

Lighting [in 1985] is by candles only - ideally they should be in silver sconces; actually they are in wrought-iron undulations down the underside of the gallery - a very 20th Century. 'arty-crafty' touch."

(CEPC)

Details of the interior are requested . . . 
 

The chancel exterior from the south-east.
 

Dove's reference for the bells:

Papplewick, Notts, S James, 5, 6-1-7 in B flat. 

ACCESS

Map reference : SK546515


Photographs:  ©  Heather Faulkes,  2002 

Please see our Home Pagefor important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -