The first picture shows a view from the SE on the approach along the access path. The nave and chancel are under one roof, with a brick-built south aisle. The nave roof is covered in slates and the south aisle is lead covered. The broad west tower is thought to have been substantially rebuilt in 1422,
the cost being offset by donations left for it. There were further donations for the tower in 1465-6. Evidence of the powerful buttresses indicates that it was originally going to be much
taller, and also that the 12cwt ring of bells may have been
heavier, or intended to have been heavier.
There is a south porch leading to the entrance doorway. Access to the ringing chamber and west gallery is encouraged, and to the bell chamber is possible with care.
In the south aisle (Marsham Chapel) is the grand monument to Thomas Marsham d.1638, and attributed to Humphrey Moyer. It shows the effigy comfortably semi-reclining, though in his shroud, being sounded by the angel above with trumpet to start his resurrection. This is the earliest monument in Norfolk to represent the theme of the Resurrection. Below
the monument can be seen a charnel house full of human bones and two panels left & right displaying the grave digger's tools and equipment. There are black columns either side and above are two reclining angels flanking the Marsham Arms.
In a south aisle window is a collection of stained glass. Here
can be found a delightful image of a round-towered church.
Can anyone identify this church and the maker of the glass?