Lincolnshire

If you have arrived here from a search engine, this site uses frames. If your server supports frames, link here.

You will then need to navigate back to this page using the County Index

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Allington, Holy Trinity The church has a 17th C. west gallery.


Wendy Parkinson
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/A.htm

Burton-by-Lincoln, dedication not known 18th C. west gallery which was a former family pew with fireplace.
Coates-by-Stowe, St Edith Not a west gallery, but a gallery attached to the Rood screen.

St Edith's, Coates-by-Stow is a tiny church, probably of Saxon origin. It has many special features, a Norman doorway and font, a stunning rood screen and majestic tower arch.

Almost every century has made a distinctive contribution to the structure, a testimony to the many people whose spiritual home it has been. Amazingly, it escaped the ravages of the Reformation as it was, and still is, hidden by trees on a moated site.

However, although the church is an architectural gem, it is its peace and serenity, an oasis in the middle of a very busy commercial farm, which is especially appreciated by many visitors.

It is a living place of worship, with a Service at 8.30am on the Second Sunday of every month, as well as Group Services and Celebrations at Christmas, Easter, Rogation and Harvest-time.  For further information, see the church website at: http://www.stedithscoates.co.uk/

Cherry Willingham, St Peter

Built 1753, "the best example of its kind in the County". (CEPC) No details of its interior.


Wendy Parkinson

http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/C.htm

Hannah cum Hagnaby, Dedication not known

Built 1753, a single cell building with box pews; commandment boards with raised tops; two- decker pulpit with 'large' parts for reader and clerk, pulpit, backpost with volutes, tester with bands of leaf, stairs with turned balusters; 2 chandeliers possibly 19th century; communion rail 3 sided with extension on left & projects outwards in centre. Mark Chatfield.  [CVF] (info: Phillip Shepherd)

Grainthorpe, St Clement

Contains "high pews". (CEPC)
 

 

 

Paul Fenwick
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/G.htm

Ingham, Dedication not known The church is described in the guide book as having a 17th century family box pew, but is it a singers' seat?

Kirkby Green, Holy Cross

Church dates from 1848, and has a west gallery.

 




Wendy Parkinson
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/I&K.htm

Kirton-in-Holland, Saints Peter & Paul

TF304385  The west gallery dates from 1907.

Paul Fenwick
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/I&K.htm

Langton-by-Partney, St Peter & St Paul

TF389703  Dr. Johnson used to worship here when he visited his friend Bennet Langton at the Hall, and on one celebrated occasion took off his coat and rolled down a grassy hill. If he revisited the church now, he would still feel at home in it, although the east end would probably surprise him. An early 18th C. building, with tiered seats, facing north and south, a three-decker pulpit and a gallery, all unspoiled by restoration. (CEPC) The gallery stands on thin fluted columns.

Langworth, St Hugh

The west gallery dates from 1901, and was rebuilt 1960-62.


Wendy Parkinson
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/L.htm

North Willingham, dedication not known

A late 18th C. west gallery.

Pickworth, St Andrew

Old pews, two-decker pulpit, 14th century screen and recently-discovered medieval wall paintings.

Sausthorpe, St Andrew

Church dates from 1842, with west gallery and box-pews.

Scremby, dedication not known

Church dates from 1733, and has west gallery and box-pews.  #

Searby-cum-Owmby, St Nicholas

TA072059  Church dates from 1832, and has a west gallery.
Paul Fenwick
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/Sa.htm

Sutton St Edmund, St Edmund

The church has a late 18th C. west gallery and box-pews.   #

Walesby, All Saints

TF138924  Also known as the Hikers' Church.

Restored in the 1930s by the late Canon N S Harding, this lonely church stood in ruins for a long time prior to his generosity. Nave arcades are Transitional period, and has a substantial tower with stepped angle-buttresses. The 17th C. pulpit was formerly used by the Presbyterians at Kirkstead, Lincs. The box-pews unfortunately had to be removed at the time of the restoration because of the ravages of dry-rot, but a few of them were preserved in the north aisle.


Paul Fenwick
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/W&Y.htm

Well, St Margaret

The church dates from 1732-33, when a brief for £1,201 was issued. The church has a portico like a temple, and is an attractive example of early Georgian work. It has a west gallery. (No ref. to gallery in Pevsner.)

   
   

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Burgh-le-Marsh, dedication not known Edward Towl, a young English chemist and musician, clarinet player in a gallery band in Burgh-le-Marsh in Lincolnshire, emigrated to Australia in 1852 and subsequently played in theatre bands on the Victorian goldfields, and then with Harmonic Societies in Ballarat. (correspondence)
 Denton, St Andrew SK8632.    In 1848 Archdeacon Bonney mentioned  "An organ and gallery at the W end of the nave". New organ 1889. 
Grantham, St Wulfram SK915361 Set amongst Georgian houses in the centre of the town, the church dates from the Norman period, although the bulk of it is 14th and 15th C. The 1868 restoration, however, sold off the screen, galleries, pews and pulpit.


Wendy Parkinson
http://www.wparkinson.com/Churches/G.htm

 Spridlington, St Hilary TF0084   
1859 Forster & Andrews
put in a barrel organ from Ventnor, with 4 barrels and 10
tunes on an old barrel, for 30;  Replaced 1878.
Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -