St Bartholomew

Brief description of the church

St Michael at Much Hoole (sometimes simply called Hoole) dates from 1628 - the year that is carved over the south door. It was then that John Stone of the nearby Carr House funded the building as a chapel of ease of Croston church. It retained its inferior position for a mere thirteen years, until 1641, when it became a parish church in its own right. The Act of Parliament granting parochial status notes "The inhabitants thereof cannot at any time with convenience repair to the parish church of Croston by reason of the remote distance from the same and the often inundation of waters happening in those parts."

 

The main body of the church is of warm red brick with darker bricks picking out the occasional diamond or cross pattern. Those nearer the tower are a slightly darker red. The bricks are said to be of Dutch origin, brought to Lancashire as ballast on the ships of Andrew Stone (brother of John, and a merchant in Amsterdam) which travelled up the River Douglas. Whatever the origin, this brickwork, combined with the simple square headed windows with round-arched lights, and stone decoration, gives the church a charmingly domestic feel.

 

The west tower is an addition of 1719 - the date being inscribed in the lead of the roof. It is stone faced, with barely emphasised quoins, and projects only slightly from the body of the church. The west end is a symmetrical composition of a square-headed door, with oculus and arch above, flanked by Tuscan demi-columns. Above is a two light window, and over that bell louvres (altered). The tower is topped by small corner pinnacles and battlements. On the south face of the tower is a large painted sundial. 

 

The nave has a single aisle leading to a pointed chancel arch and chancel. The latter, known as the Horrocks Chapel, was added in 1858. A large pulpit with ornate tester, and dated 1695 stands to the north side of the chancel arch.
 

GALLERIES

Inside the nave the tower is supported by an arch on big detached columns which project down through the west gallery. 

There is also a gallery on the south side of the church; both have traceried fronts.

Both galleries were added at the time of the tower.

The text and the photographs come from the Lancashire Churches web site at: http://www.lancashirechurches.co.uk/muchhoole.htm

ACCESS

Map reference : 


Information and pictures reused from Tony Boughen's site about Lancashire Churches at http://www.lancashirechurches.co.uk/fylde.htm.     Please visit this to see more detail about Fylde, and other churches.

Please see our  Home Page  for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -