St Michael's Church

other internal and external pictures wanted

The original church dated from the 13th century.  In 1611 it was struck by lightning and burnt out.  The present church was built during the period 1611 - 1614. In 1834 there was a "thorough restoration" during which a west gallery was built; it was specifically for the church band, the singers and the servants at Hill Hall, the residence of the Lord of the Manor.

The above photograph is of the west gallery, taken from a framed photo hanging in the church.  The gallery occluded the part of the west window, as a result of which the church was dark.  It was taken down in 1926 when it was feared to be collapsing.


Map reference :  


Information and photograph ( 2002) kindly supplied by Peter Goodwin

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow


email logo






This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -