St Mary and All Saints


Lambourne_End.JPG (159704 bytes)

As Pevsner states . . ." a simple aisleless church . . ."  
The nave of the church was built in the 12th century, 
with the chancel being added in the 13th.
 

Lambourne1.jpg (46080 bytes)
1  

The west gallery was constructed in 1704-05 and was paid for by an undisclosed benefactor.  An upper tier was added in 1820.
 

Lambourne3.jpg (32040 bytes)
2  
Lambourne2.jpg (32401 bytes)
3  
 

Two views of the interior of the ?lower gallery.  Note the folding seat in the corner of the front pew. (2 & 3)

According to Pevsner, the church is ". . . of quite exceptional charm and historical range . . . "    Wall paintings dating from ca. 1400 have been uncovered on the walls of the church. 
 

other internal and external pictures wanted please

ACCESS

Map reference :  

 


Information and photograph ( 2002) kindly supplied by Peter Goodwin
and the exterior photograph by Ian Dunbar and Sam Maddin 2003
 

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -