St Peter & St Paul
blandford2.jpg (28876 bytes)
1
 
blandford1.jpg (248119 bytes)    
2
 
blandford3.jpg (195909 bytes)    blandford4.jpg (57128 bytes)
3                                         4
 

History of the village and early church

The church and town were destroyed in 1731 by a devastating fire, and the whole place was rebuilt by a local family of builders and architects, by the name of Bastard.   John Bastard was responsible for the rebuilding of the church during the period 1731-1739, and the interior has remained largely as it was in his time without the interference of Victorian reformers. It retains its galleries, font, pulpit, box-pews and mayoral seat.


The whole church was cleverly extended in 1893 when the apsidal sanctuary was moved on rollers and set down on new foundations, the resultant gap being infilled to make a new chancel. (CEPC)
 

GALLERY

In 1794 a gallery was built for new organ - which is the date on Royal Arms in centre. Extended 1819 and 1837. Extensions removed 1971. #
 

INTERNAL PICTURES REQUIRED PLEASE
 

Dove's reference for the bells:

Blandford Forum, Dorset, SS Peter & Paul, 8, 19-3-5 in E. Thursday 

ACCESS

Map reference  :  ST 885063


Photographs 2 & 3 © 2002  John Allen
See his web site - Images of Dorset

Photographs 1 & 4 2002 Edwin Macadam
 

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -