a. k. a.
  LOWER WINCHENDON
St Nicholas

lwin01.JPG (355666 bytes)

lwin02.JPG (298310 bytes)
1 2
lwin03.JPG (381715 bytes)
3
lwin04.JPG (380838 bytes) lwin05.JPG (444573 bytes)
4 5

1, 2, 3  -  The south side of the church, with the Union Flag flying at half-mast in respect for Princess Margaret, buried that day.

4  -  The tower from the north -west, showing massive buttresses, and 5  -  the church clock.
 

Like its neighbour, Chearsley, the church is dedicated to St Nicholas and it, too, has escaped any serious attempts at "restoration" work.  

The church stands at the foot of a steep hill, adjoining the Big House, and with in a village setting - the epitome of an English country church. The structure is certainly mediaeval, and, as one always expects, with alterations over time.  The interior, however, is almost entirely 18th century, with a west gallery dominating the west end. This stretches the entire width of the nave, and is lit by the rearmost of the nave windows, which it partly obscures.
 

lwin10.JPG (429694 bytes) lwin07.JPG (432168 bytes)
6 7
The gallery as viewed from the pulpit.
 
The gallery as viewed from the chancel arch.
 
lwin21.JPG (583567 bytes)
8
The west gallery of 1761, with organ (date?)
 
hatch.JPG (138437 bytes)
9
Detail of the Royal Coat of Arms on the front of the gallery.
 
lwin17.JPG (439073 bytes) lwin18.JPG (430651 bytes)
10 11
Gallery pews.
 
View of nave looking west from gallery.
 
lwin06.JPG (360117 bytes) lwin09.JPG (381451 bytes)
12 13
The three-decker pulpit.
 
lwin12.JPG (482216 bytes)
14

Looking down the pulpit stairs.  Note the door into the Rectory pew.  There is a holder for a fob-watch beside the pulpit lectern.
 

lwin11.JPG (453628 bytes) lwin14.JPG (239735 bytes)
15 16

The Squire's pew opposite the Rectory pew and pulpit.
 

Roundels of Dutch glass in one of the windows (1647)
 

lwin16.JPG (354788 bytes) lwin19.JPG (439052 bytes)
17 18
The pendulum of the clock  The clock dates from 1772 - see detail if inscription over gallery (7 & 8).
 
The ringing room inside the west door. Note the sloping floor and cobbles.
 

Dove's Guide to Church Bells

Nether Winchendon, Bucks, S Nicholas (GF), 5, 12-1-8 in G. 
Winchendon Place Doubles is named after this church.

ACCESS

Map reference    :   SP733123

The church appears to be open at most reasonable times. 


Photographs: © Edwin Macadam   2002

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -