|1761-80. By a local builder
during the period 1761 to 1780. He was sent to Whitehaven,
then in Cumberland, to copy the church there. The interior was much restored in
1910 when the upper galleries were removed and the church extended.
The church was meant to replace the ageing St Mathew's,
buily by by Bishop Hildesley, but took
some 20 years to complete due to financial depression following act of
It was St James in Whitehaven that provided the initial design.
The church was lengthened by some 5m in 1909 when a new chancel was
See account in
IoM Charities, 1831