St Mary the Virgin

 

Redmire1.jpg (30269 bytes)
 

    

History of the church

The church comprises a Chancel and a Nave with a bellcote.  Built about 1150, Redmire church was for 300 years, from the mid-13th century until the Dissolution, served by one of the Canons of Coverham Abbey who lived in Redmire where "Priory House" now stands (opposite the Post Office.

There is a well preserved Norman doorway with typical stone seats outside, on which it is said the Sexton used to sit on Mid-Summer's Eve and saw the ghosts of people who were to die within the next year. A short length of Norman scroll frieze can be seen high in the north-west corner of the Nave; narrow windows in the South wall are also probably Norman in their origin, but have been rebuilt into their present lancet shape. The perpendicular East window dates from the 15th century and contains fragments of old glass depicting shields of the Nevilles of Middleham, and the Scropes of Bolton.

A projecting corbel above the pulpit on the North wall once carried the rood beam, and the fine timber roof is mediaeval - probably 15th century. The octagonal stone font is 13th century, but with later restoration.

The church was extensively restored in 1894 and changes have been made to the original fabric and furnishings on this and earlier occasions.  A bricked-in low side window may be seen on the South wall of the Nave; this would have been without glass and shuttered on the inside. From within, the priest would have heard Confession from people kneeling on the grass outside. These windows were eventually blocked up on the orders of Henry VIII.  Near to this window is a scratch dial (now upside down) probably used originally for timing the services in mediaeval times.

Inside the church are a number of monuments and the Royal Arms of George I (1720). 

(taken from the Church Guide)

 

GALLERY

Above the porch door on the outer wall of the church a now blocked up window existed to light a former choir gallery.

 

EXTERNAL & INTERNAL PICTURES REQUIRED PLEASE

 

ACCESS

Map reference  :  

The church is situated some distance from the village.

 

 

Information kindly supplied by Katie and Alastair Sayles

 

 

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow
-----------------
the Webmasters
NB To prevent unwanted spamming of mail, replace -at- with @ before sending 

 

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam, 30 Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -
email