Bramhope Chapel

chapel.jpg (28685 bytes)

Brief description of the church

Bramhope Chapel, in Wharfedale, is also known locally as the Puritan Chapel, and was built in 1649. It is no longer in regular use and is therefore redundant.

Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII gave the surrounding area to the Earl of Cumberland. Later in the 16th century the Dyneley family moved into the area and acquired Bramhope Hall, and in 1649 they built the Chapel near the Hall for their own use, it being taken over a few years later by the Church of England after the Restoration of Charles II.

It is one of only a few chapels built during the Commonwealth period, and is said never to have been consecrated. This did not, however, prevent it being used regularly for church services up until 1881-82. It was at this time that it proved too small for the congregation worshipping there, St Giles being built in 1881 to accommodate the growing numbers.

It contains original furnishings, box-pews and a three-decker pulpit.

 

ACCESS
Map reference :  Unknown

Take the A660 north-west of Leeds, and the chapel stands in Otley Rd., Bramhope. The turning is adjacent to Forte Posthouse Hotel.

MAP
Use the OS Grid reference in the Worcestershire & Districts Change Ringing Association link to Multimap.com to find a street map showing the church. Follow the instructions on the site.

 

 

Information and pictures from the Bramhope Parish Council web site at
http://www.bramhope.org/brhistry.htm, to whom we are indebted for this information.

 

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -