Worcestershire

If you have arrived here from a search engine, this site uses frames. If your server supports frames, link here.

You will then need to navigate back to this page using the County Index

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Dudley, St Andrew Rebuilt 1814. Galleries on three sides. Pulpit reduced from a three-decker.
Great Witley, St Michael and All Angels The west gallery is still in use and contains the casing of the organ from Canons, (near Little Stanmore, in Essex), a house in  which it would have been played by Handel during his time of employment with the duke. The organ itself is a 19th century replacement.  The pews, reading desk and pulpit were installed in the 19th century by the Earl of Dudley, who had bought Witley Court from the Foleys.  Under the Earl of Dudley Witley Court itself was expanded and the brick walls were faced with Bath stone, as was the church.
Hartleybury, , St James The church of St James consists of a chancel, with south chapel and north organ chamber and vestry, nave with north and south aisles, continued west to form staircases to the side galleries, a western tower and a west porch. The building is almost completely modern, having been designed by Rickman in 1836

Also historically called St. Mary the Virgin.




 

 

 

 

 

Geograph, with thanks.

Ombersley, St Andrew The church was built in 1883 by Rickman in 14th C. style. Thus the exterior looks mediaeval, but the interior looks like that of a non-conformist congregation, with galleries, box-pews and the austerity expected of the time. In contrast there is a Squire's pew, handsomely fitted out. In 1958 the galleries still remained, although there was an intention to remove them. (CEPC) 

The interior is typical of its time, with plaster vaults (picked out in an alluring turquoise) galleries above the aisles and also a deep west gallery. (Info from Phil Draper)

Strensham, St John the Baptist The church stands on high ground close to the River Avon, and is alone in the fields. The painted front of the old rood-loft was re-used as the front of the west gallery; it depicts 23 different saints.
Tenbury Wells, dedication not known The parish church, tucked away behind the main street of the town, and kept open. Dull interior, much restored by the Victorians after floods which damaged the nave. West gallery and wide aisles. Interesting monuments, however, including the supposed tomb of a crusader and the 16th century alabaster effigy of the local squire and his wife in the south aisle.
Worcester, St Martin Built 1767 onwards.  A West gallery was built in the church in the early 1800s across two of the windows and two of the memorial stones dating from the late 1700s of two of the parish's deceased families who are buried in the crypt below.  There were also galleries in the north and south aisles which lasted only a short time. The west gallery remains.
Worcester, St Swithun Built in 1734-36 by Edward and Thomas Woodward (who built St John's, Gloucester and Bewdley Church, inter alia, this church both within and without is a perfectly preserved example of the early 18th century, untouched by any restoration, and containing all the fittings of the period - font, organ, box-pews, altar, an imposing three-decker pulpit with the addition of a seat for the Mayor and a stand for his Mace. This is a Georgian church with everything still as it was intended to be.   #
   
   

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

None so far noted . . .  
   
Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -