Birmingham
Hall Green
Church of the Ascension
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Ascension,_Hall_Green

artist: unknown!
 

This church was originally known as the Church of the Holy Trinity, Hall Green.

Completed in 1704, the church is believed to have been designed by Sir William Wilson and was named after Job Marston, a resident at Hall Green Hall, who donated 1,000 towards the construction of the building near the hall. It was consecrated on May 25, 1704.

The original building and additions are in the Queen Anne style. The exterior of the building consists of red brick and a stone entablature and balustrade supported by Doric pilasters and the window architraves are of moulded stone. The tower at the west end of the nave has an octagonal brick upper storey with a copper cupola. Inside, the nave is covered in a coved plaster ceiling. The chancel and transepts were constructed between 1860 and 1866. It is the earliest classical church surviving within Birmingham. On each side of the nave are three semi-circular headed windows. The roof is slated.

Until the foundation of the diocese of Birmingham in 1905, the city of Birmingham was situated on the boundaries of two ancient sees. The Diocese was divided into the two archdeaconries of Birmingham and Aston. In March 1907, the chapel became known as the parish church of Hall Green in the new diocese of Birmingham. In 1933, the patronage was transferred from the Trustees to the Bishop of Birmingham. On April 25, 1952, it was designated Grade II* listed status.

Interior of church, showing box pews and west gallery
 

The Church - Listed Grade 2*

(formerly listed as Church of the Holy Trinity under Hall Green)
SP 18 SW 13/6 25.4.52
II*
2.
Dated 1704 and possibly by Sir William Wilson; altered. Red brick with stone
dressings. Of the C18 the lower part of the projecting west tower and the nave,
3 bays long demarcated by giant Roman Doric pilasters carrying an entablature and
balustrade. Arched windows in moulded stone surrounds with impost blocks and
keystones. Quoins at the angles. In 1860 chancel and transepts were added in the
same style as the C18 work. Also probably of 1860 the upper part of the tower with
its octagonal brick turret with copper cupola. Interior with coved ceiling,
simple C18 pulpit and painted early C19 Royal Arms.

ACCESS :
Map reference  :  

Pictures kindly supplied by


Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -