of the church
Early in 1801, a group of Alfriston 'dissenters'
who used to meet in a house in North Street, were inspired by an
itinerant preacher to build themselves a proper church.
Money, time and labour were all freely provided and the project
was completed in time to open for worship as the Independent
Church of Christ on 2nd August 1801.
During the early years, there was a famous
incident when a dispute over the minister led to him being
forcibly ejected from the pulpit. One of the perpetrators was
Stanton Collins, the leader of the old Alfriston smugglers. In
1906, the congregation became part of the Congregational Church.
Then in 1972 entered into a union with the Presbyterian Church to
form the present United Reformed Church.
There have been various additions to the building over the years,
including the gallery supported by pillars which were formerly
ships masts. Close to the church is the Memorial Hall, which was
purchased as a memorial to men lost during the 1914-18 war and
before that date it was called the Gun Room due to its original
function as a storage place for a huge gun during the Napoleonic
Wars. The hall is now used for meetings and for our combined