Town and its history
Ilminster takes its name from the
river Ile and its wonderful church, the Minster. It is mentioned
in documents dating from 725 and in a Charter granted to the Abbey
of Muchelney (10 miles to the north) by King Ethelred in 995. By
the time of the Doomsday Book in 1086, Ilminster was a flourishing
community and was granted the right to hold a weekly market, which
it still does, and an annual fair.
Minster Parish Church
The Minster Church
stands at the centre and heart of our town. The Monks of Muchelney
Abbey started a church here around 720 A.D. and the current jewel
of a building was built about 1470. It was built on the site
of a Saxon building.
This church is one of the great Somerset
churches. It dates mainly from the 15th century and is of
cruciform plan with central tower and an elaborate North transept.
The nave arcades were rebuilt and the aisles
raised in the early 19th century to accommodate galleries.
The east sacristy is a feature of Somerset
Also of note is the 17th century pulpit and
screen, and the 18th century chandelier.