of the church during the west gallery period
Private pews in the Hungerford aisle, treated
from the 16th century as a private chapel,
were mentioned in the mid 18th century, and large box pews in the
chancel and an 'ugly' gallery across the tower were presumably
also of 17th or 18th-century origin.
In 1703 a former Hungerford pew at the nave's east end was
converted into a reading desk and pew for the vicar's family.
Occasional repairs, including repewing c. 1799, were noted
throughout the 18th century,
but by the 1840s the church was in a dangerous state with bowing
and cracked walls, insecure foundations, and roofs threatening
around 1845 the bishop alleged that it was the worst in his
The nave was reroofed in 1847 with an open timber structure
resting on restored corbels,
but lack of funds prevented further work until 1866, when the
architect E. G. Bruton carried out a complete restoration paid for
by the chief landowners and parish rates;
unsatisfactory work necessitated further expense in 1870.
The chancel was re-roofed and its walls repaired, the north aisle
was rebuilt incorporating the 14th-century doorway, and the south
door, with its original ironwork, was reportedly moved to the
tower entrance, having presumably been recut. The interior was
entirely refurbished, heating was installed, and the westernmost
bay of the north aisle was partitioned to form a vestry.
Stained glass by Clayton and Bell of London was fitted in the
chancel and north aisle.
New furnishings included a lectern,
and a reredos of coloured ornamental tile 'in very bad taste',
replaced in 1915 by one of stone faced with carved oak; that was
removed c. 1966.
In 1931 the Hungerford chapel was fitted up by members of the
Akers family for daily services, and electric lighting was
introduced to the church in 1934.
An 18th-century chamber organ was given in 1965, and about the
same time new heating was installed as part of a more general
Pastoral care on
the west gallery period
1738 there were two Sunday services with one sermon, and prayers
were read on holidays and most Fridays. Children were catechized
at Lent and the sacrament was celebrated four times a year.
Charles Knollys (vicar 1732--71), styled earl of Banbury, lived at
Burford from 1747, riding weekly or fortnightly to conduct
services at Black Bourton and at Yelford,
and for 70 years after his death the parish was served by mostly
non-resident curates, of whom several served other churches also.
For much of the earlier 19th century only one Sunday service was
held despite complaints from the bishop, and the number of
communicants fell from 30 in 1738 to under 10 by 1802, rising
Lupton, vicar 1827-1873, resided from ca. 1843 to 1860, and
transformed the parish, building a new vicarage house and school,
restoring the church, possibly instituting a choir mentioned in
1866, and by his own account raising the 'moral condition' of the
parishioners. By 1859 most reportedly exhibited 'favourable'
feelings towards the Church, though during the same period, and
despite Lupton's avowed hostility, Primitive Methodism appears to
have flourished, particularly among poorer inhabitants..