St Leodegarious
There are only four churches dedicated to St. Leodegarius in England, the other three being Ashby St.Ledgers, Northants, Hunston, Sussex and Wyberton, Lincs. Leodegarius was Bishop of Autun in France in 678 A.D. when it was beseiged. To save the citizens he gave himself up, was cruelly tortured and finally put to death. He became a popular saint in France and his reputation must have spread. At Basford he is commemorated on the Sunday after October 11th.
In February 1627/8 Ralph Dams was charged with 'disturbing divine service' by singing the word 'clothe' when the parish clerk sang 'cloake'. All these cases were dismissed.
 

Brief description of the church

The church was rebuilt in c.1200 with nave arcades, north and south aisles and lancet windows. About 1250 the present clustered columns of the nave arcades were inserted, probably the church's best feature. A Lady Chapel was built in c. 1340, and later that century the nave walls were raised and a clerestory added.
At the beginning of the 18th century the church had deteriorated so badly a Church Brief was granted. At his Visitation in May 1718 the Archdeacon recommended repairs to 'ye Outwalls Windows and Pavement where wanting and white-washed all over within.' Four years later he said the walls should be pointed, windows mended and a cover provided for the font. A new north aisle was built about then, shown in the 1831 painting. In 1813 Stretton said the cancelli remained although the upper part had been plastered over for the King's Arms (Geo. III) c.1760. The floor was damp, the seats rotting. In 1818/19 repairs were undertaken and a gallery installed in the south aisle and across the west end. Edward Staveley, a prominent Nottingham architect, surveyed the church and estimated the cost of new box pews, pulpit, reading desk, clerk's desk, gallery, raising the floor and repairing walls to be 850. A grant of 200 was obtained from the Incorporated Church Building Society, which insisted on 170 new free sittings, but 400 had to be borrowed.
In the 1850's the church was again in a dilapidated state, the walls bad and the roof letting in rain. The ICBS again made a grant - of 180 towards restoration, overseen firstly by George Place of Nottingham who went bankrupt, then by his partner W.A.Wilson. The work was done by W.Garland of Nottingham and W.Lee of Retford. It was almost ready to re-open in April 1859 when the tower collapsed bringing with it much of the recently restored west end.
On March 1st 1860 the church was re-opened after drastic alterations. Besides the tower the flat roofs had been raised to a steeper pitch, there was a new north aisle, north porch, organ chamber and clerestory, and the west end of the nave and the south aisle had been re-built. Galleries were removed and the box pews replaced by open benches, some of which are still at the back of the nave.
 

Dove's reference for the bells:

Nottingham, Notts, S Leodegarius, Basford, 8, 14-3-0 in F#. Tue 

ACCESS
Map reference :  SK553427

MAP
Use the Worcestershire & Districts Change Ringing Association link to Multimap.com to find a street map showing the church. Follow the instructions on the site


Information and pictures from the Southwell Churches web site, Nottingham,
http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/index.html

Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -