Middlesex

If you have arrived here from a search engine, this site uses frames. If your server supports frames, link here.

You will then need to navigate back to this page using the County Index

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Cranford, St. Dunstan The church is in a park by the stables of the now demolished Cranford House. Chancel and tower 16th C. Nave red-brick 1716. Restored by Martin Travers 1949. West gallery removed as unsafe in 1895, but not enough seats so new gallery put up in 1936 for organ and choir.
*Feltham, St. Dunstan Church built 1802. The west gallery stands on wooden columns with panelling filled with charity inscriptions in elegant script. It includes the date for the gallery - 1802.
Greenford, Holy Cross Early 17th C. gallery.
Little Stanmore, Whitchurch, St Lawrence A nobleman's church of 1715, built for the opulent Duke of Chandos. The tower survives from the previous church. It has a red-brick exterior, inside it is frescoed all over with panels and grisaille, probably by Louis Laguerre and Antonio Belluci, ca. 1720. In the inside there are many original fittings of the period, including the ducal pew at the west end like a theatre box, surmounted by a fresco after Raphael's Transfiguration.
*Northolt, St Mary A simple aisleless church, with chancel off-centre, bell turret and little spire. Interior plain, light, and charming. Wooden west gallery dated 1703. (CEPC,)

Gallery and stair have turned balusters. Date on board on back of gallery. Gallery built for musicians and servants. (Church guide)
*Shepperton, St Nicholas The early 19th C. west gallery and "Manor Pew" in north transept both have external stairs. In the west gallery fold-down seats span the central aisle. #
Staines, St Mary This brick-built church contains a white-painted gallery over the entrance porch and various "offices".
Sunbury-on-Thames, St Mary The church was rebuilt by Stephen Wright in 1752, polychromatically overlaid by S S Teulon in 1856.

In 1813 the Vestry Minutes record "the violent contention and tumult that took place last Sunday in the upper gallery of the church immediately after conclusion of Divine Service." The Vestry met to consider what action to take "to prevent the recurrence of similar outrages." They recorded that "the congregation were much disturbed and shocked by the noise and violence that took place….the conduct of the two French ushers was in the highest degree improper and disgraceful and if they continue to reside in the parish the Churchwardens are directed to institute a suit in the Ecclesiastical Court against them. That under present circumstances it is highly expedient that another staircase be erected to the gallery as the most likely means to prevent the recurrence of such conduct."

The church was considerably altered in 1856 by S.S.Teulon; the 1970 restoration retained the much altered west gallery for organ and choir.
Twickenham, Either All Hallows or St Mary? ? Wren constructed the tower, and there are many monuments and fittings from All Hallows, Lombard Street. There is a reference in the accounts to a gallery in 1667.

Alexander Pope was buried here, and according to notes from another source one of the churches has a north and a south gallery, but no west gallery.

Westminster, St Clement Danes  
   

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Laleham, All Saints A 12th C. village church the interior being "restored". Matthew Arnold is buried here. In 1758 there was a petition for the erection of a gallery -

"We, the Minister, Churchwardens and Inhabitants of the Parish of Laleham . . . do make our humble petition unto all persons who are so disposed, to contribute towards erecting a gallery in the said Parish Church, it being necessary and convenient for the inhabitants as there is great want of room for attending Divine Worship."

An organ was added in 1806, but in 1833 it was noted that the vestry wished the organ to be discontinued and "a set of singers should be established instead with the same pay of £5 per annum if there is a regular attendance of the majority." However, the organ was soon reinstated - perhaps the singers were not up to much! The gallery was finally removed in 1910.
   
 
Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -