St George


The Church

A Listed Grade II building, St George's dates from 1762-3 and is the oldest German church in Britain. The congregation was founded by Dederich Beckmann, a wealthy sugar boiler and cousin of the first pastor. It served as a religious centre for generations of German immigrants who worked in the East End sugar refineries and in the meat and baking trades until the First World War.

Inside, the church retains a remarkable and mostly original series of furnishings. These include a complete set of ground floor and gallery pews and a magnificent, high, central double-decker pulpit and sounding board. On the wall above hangs the coat-of-arms of King George III (pre-1801) and two carved timber Commandment Boards in German. The Royal Arms, once enjoined to be erected in all Anglican churches, and adopted by others as a mark of loyalty, also recall a connection with the Duchess of Kent, mother of Queen Victoria, who was Patron of the adjacent German and English schools from 1819. There are 18th and l9th-century memorials and stained glass of great interest and a fine German Walcker organ.

Visit the Historic Chapels Trust web site at  http://www.hct.org.uk/chapel13stgeorges.html  for which we are indebted for this information and picture.

FURTHER EXTERNAL & INTERNAL PICTURES REQUIRED PLEASE

ACCESS :

Map reference  :  


Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -