St Andrew


Bredwardine1.jpg (80267 bytes)
The church as depicted in a postcard for sale in the church.

History of the church

The nave is of the early Norman period, with herringbone masonry on the lower part of the north wall very evident internally.  The font also is Norman, with a bowl of about 3ft 10ins diameter made from conglomerate, a type of shingle..

Projections on the south wall near the chancel once supported the Rood screen. 

The Tower is Georgian and was built in 1790.  It replaces one that stood further north.

The Chancel was rebuilt in the 15th century, having been partially destroyed by soldiers of Owen Glyndwr in 1406, though the western end is original.

The altar table is Jacobean, and on its north side is an effigy of a man of great stature, possibly Walter Baskerville, Lord of the Manor, who died in 1369. 

Behind the church is the tomb of the Rev'd Francis Kilvert, the 19th century diarist.

GALLERY

The roof is Victorian and was erected in 1875-76. At that time the west gallery was removed and the present organ installed.

FRANCIS KILVERT

Robert Francis Kilvert was born 3rd December 1840, one of six children of Rev. Robert Kilvert, who was Rector of Hardenhuish, near Chippenham, Wilts.  He was educated privately and attended Wadham College, Oxford.

He served initially as Curate to his father, but in 1865 moved to Clyro, north of Hay on Wye, where he stayed for seven years. After another spell as Curate for his father from 1872 to 1876 he accepted the living of St Harmon, nr, Rhayader, Powys, and became Vicar of Bredwardine in 1877.

He married Elizabeth Anne Powland of Wootton, Oxfordshire and returned to Bredwardine with his bride on 13th September.  Ten days later he died of peritonitis at the early age of 38 years.

His tombstone carries the inscription "He being dead yet speaketh".  He is remembered for his diary which covers the period 1870-1879, and which depicts the life of a Victorian clergyman of the period.
 

Dove's reference for the bells

Bredwardine, Herefordshire, S Andrew (GF), 6, 7-2-1 in B flat. Wednesday 

ACCESS

Map reference : SO334445

On the east of the B4352 road from Hay on Wye to Moccas and Hereford, turn down the road to Brobury, which is opposite the Red Lion Hotel.  A finger post shows the way to the church down  a small lane on the right, about 50 yards down the road to Brobury.  The church appears to be open during daylight hours.


Photograph copied from the postcard on sale in the church.


Please see our  Home Page  for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -