The chancel with its small double splayed windows
dates from the mid-eleventh century but the north and south aisles
were added towards the end of the twelfth century. The original
Saxon east window was replaced in 1330 whilst the west tower was
rebuilt in brick in 1703.
Opening the door of the church one is overwhelmed
by a sense of history. Wonderful carved Jacobean box pews fill the
nave whilst a fifteenth century doorway near the chancel reveals a
narrow stairway which once led to a rood loft.
All in all a fine old church, a veritable
time-warp, which has thankfully escaped the hands of restorers.
The only twentieth century things in the church appear to be a
modern organ and some beautifully embroided kneelers in the box
pews. Long may it continue. [These are John Symond's sentiments,
but how many of us endorse them!]
This information and picture
come from the pages written by
John Symonds for the Waterlooville's On-Line Parish Magazine. Link