St Nicholas


church interior

The Church

A small plain Saxon church, with a west gallery dating from ca. 1853. The furnishings all pitch pine and presumably date from 1853 restoration. The interior retains it "old" appearance.

Despite a general restoration in 1853. much of the original church remains. On the east gable a vertical pilaster strip rises from a stone string course, a feature of Saxon architecture, and on the north wall of the chancel a splendid example of a double-splayed Saxon window opening, decorated with a double line of cable- moulding, may be seen, but from the exterior only.

In the nave, the boxed Squire's pew, (still used as such), the three-decker pulpit and the west gallery, all in plain pitch pine, remain from the restoration of 1853. Sir Nikolaus Pevsner, the celebrated commentator on architecture and art observed that the restoration work 'suggests an immunity, in this remote place, from the influence of ecclesiological revival which had, by then, penetrated almost everywhere else', and it remains true that, at Boarhunt church, we are disinclined to bend to the whims of fashion!

 

Please visit the church web site at:
http://www.southernlife.org.uk/boarhuntchurch.htm
where there is a much fuller history and photographs.

FURTHER EXTERNAL & INTERNAL PICTURES REQUIRED PLEASE

ACCESS :
Map reference  :  

Pictures kindly supplied by - not known


Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -