All Saints

minstead3.JPG (243614 bytes)

Completely unrestored, this new Forest church stands a little way from the village, its core being 13th C. A Georgian brick tower was then added, and the South transept contains two Squire's pews complete with fireplaces, which open into the church like theatre seating.

There is a three-decker pulpit and box pews, 18th C. north and west galleries, and a further upper west gallery was constructed in 1818. There are dormer windows to light these galleries.

In the churchyard on the south side of the church is a tombstone with a carved serpent above the inscription:
To the memory of Thomas Maynard who departed this life July 9th 1817 aged 27 years. The Band of Musicians of the South Hants Yeomanry (of which He was a Member) in testimony of their esteem caused this stone to be erected.
minsteadint1a.JPG (169005 bytes)    minsteadint2a.JPG (136165 bytes)

Brief description of the church

The church mentioned in The Doomsday Book had been a site of Christian worship since at least Saxon times and the building contains architecture and furnishings that reflect its history.

The present building, including the doorway, dates from the 12th century with a remodelled Norman chancel arch from two centuries later. 
 

Galleries and other fittings

The pews are made from forest oak and date back to the 17th century. `Private' pews built by local notable families on the north side resemble small sitting rooms with a fireplace each and the north transept was enlarged in the 19th century to accommodate all the Minstead estate workers, and the patron and his family.

The three-Decker pulpit dates from the 17th century, with woodwork from an even earlier age. It reflects the hierarchical traditions of that society with the parish clerk answering the 'Amens' in the lowest section the reader, and the preacher appearing in ascending order. 

The two galleries date from the 18th century, one built to accommodate the musician and a second for the children of the school in 1818 , with the present bell tower being added some 50 years earlier, and the bells dating from the 15th century.

Both Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his wife are buried in the churchyard. 

[With thanks to the Parish web site, from which this information was taken, as also the first and last pictures.]
 

Dove's reference for the bells:

Minstead, Hants, All Saints, 5, 7-0-20 in A. 

ACCESS
MAP REFERENCE:  SU281109

Opening Times
Daily 10 am - 5 pm

Services
Sunday 

9.45 am Parish Eucharist  

2nd Sunday  
6.00pm Sung Evensong  

3rd Sunday
8 am  Holy Communion
9.45 am  Family Service

Wednesday after the first Sunday
11.15am  Holy Communion

Information and pictures one and five reused from the church web site at http://www.newforestparishes.com/minstead.shtml
Please visit this to see more detail about Minstead, and other churches in the area.

Pictures two, three & four kindly supplied by Richard Nivens 2003

Please see our  Home Page  for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -