North of Rowlands Castle this lovely little chapel
sits serenely amid the cornfields about 200 yards from the road.
It was built in 1053 by Earl Godwin of Wessex. It may well have
been used as a hunting chapel by King Edward the Confessor.
Entrance by the West door under the gallery and
organ loft reveals a nave filled with old boxed pews, whilst the
17th century pulpit is oddly situated half-way down the south
side. On the wall alongside is a fading text from Isaiah 'Cry
aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet'.
There are early fourteenth century murals on the
north wall of the chancel. The upper picture shows a hunting
scene. In the centre stands St Hubert touching and curing the
Lycanthrope, a legendary hermit who believed himself to be a wolf
and walked on all fours. The panel below tells the story of St
John the Baptist. On the left he is shown being thrown into
prison, whilst the right hand scene shows Salome being given his
head on a salver at Herod's feast. It is a most vivid painting
which repays careful study.
Above the nave are three tie beams. Hanging near
the bell turret is a large Royal Coat of Arms of George III. An
inscription alongside refers to chapel repairs done in 1793 and
1825. Under the gallery is an octagonal font dating from around
1400. Two other features of note are the original Norman light in
the North wall and a blocked archway, only 21 inches wide, also in
the north wall of the nave.
This information and picture
come from the pages written by
John Symonds for the Waterlooville's On-Line Parish Magazine. Link