This chapel is perhaps the most important historic
building in Methodism.
John Wesley began preaching in the open air to the
poor in Bristol in 1739. They came in their
thousands to hear 'the glad tidings of salvation'.
Those who responded met in a number of places in
the city, but very soon larger accommodation was
needed, and the 'New Room' was built.
The New Room was Methodism's first building.
Here Wesley preached to the new society, conducted
worship, organised the free distribution of medicines,
and ran a school for the children of poor families.
Equipped with rooms for preachers upstairs, it was
one of Wesley's main centres for the 'spread of
scriptural holiness throughout the land'.
It was the place where Francis Asbury and others
volunteered to work in the American colonies.