Dunsford
St Mary

Church was rebuilt 1641. Jacobean gallery front with turned balusters lines tower and has been used as a war memorial.  (No record in Pevsner).

   Dunsford: west gallery and box pews
With thanks from http://www.wissensdrang.com/stabb085.htm#091
The stone chancel screen

The church consists of chancel, with piscina and priest's door, nave, north aisle, south porch, and west tower with six bells. There is a west gallery with organ, and beneath the gallery an oak screen across the tower entrance.

Fulford House must have existed for a great many years, for we find that, on July 8th 1402, Bishop Stafford granted a licence to Henry Fulford and Wilhelmina his wife for the performance of Divine Service "infra mansionis suas de Ffoleford et Morton." The Manor of Dunsford, which had previously beonged to the Priory of Canonsleigh, was purchased by Sir John Fulford at the Reformation.
 

The church also retains one of the old west galleries which are so rapidly disappearing under the hand of the restorer.

In the chancel is a bishop's chair elaborately carved. It is thought to have been obtained some years ago from Culver House by a former vicar, Rev. Stephens, a son-in-law of Bishop Philpotts [elected 1831], who used to reside at Culver House until he built the present vicarage.

The above information is taken from
SOME OLD DEVON CHURCHES,
THEIR ROOD SCREENS
PULPITS, FONTS, ETC.

BY
JOHN STABB
CLANMARINA, TORQUAY, 1908.

at http://www.wissensdrang.com/stabb000.htm ,
thus the information today may be a little different!

The Church

FURTHER EXTERNAL & INTERNAL PICTURES REQUIRED PLEASE

ACCESS :
Map reference  :  

Pictures kindly supplied by


Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -