Cumberland

If you have arrived here from a search engine, this site uses frames. If your server supports frames, link here.

You will then need to navigate back to this page using the County Index

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Bolton, Solway, All Saints
Crosscanonby, St John the Evangelist Carved gallery 1730, and older carving in pews. Incorporates older Roman and pre-Norman stonework. Thankfully it was carefully restored in 1880.  (CEPC)
Crossthwaite, St Kentigern Present church probably dates from 1553, but some older work incorporated. 18th C. pitchpipe.
Edenhall, dedication unknown 17th C. west gallery.
Holme Cultram, Abbey Town, St Mary 85: NY 176508.Fragment of old Cistercian abbey.

In 1730 agreement was reached between the Churchwardens and Richard Smirke of Wigton, house-carpenter, to set up all pews, galleries and other works in the church, using wood from Wedholme and "to work all wood to the best advantage as to make no waste" etc. "All chips and shavings to be at the Churchwarden's disposal . . . " The cost as £37.  Francis Grainger was a Trustee for the rebuilding work at that time.

When the work was completed Dr. Waugh described it as " . . . neatly and conveniently seated, with handsome galleries, and it is altogether a beautiful church, but though it stands high, strangely damp. It contains seats for 864 persons." (The Register and Records of Holme Cultram, CWA&AS Record Series Vol. viii, by Francis Granger and W G Collingwood, Kendal, 1929)

Francis Granger's family were very much involved with the rebuilding of the church, and also sang or played in the quire that used the west gallery. - EMLM
Matterdale, No dedication Built 1685, restored 1856. Canopied pulpit.
Millom, Holy Trinity Church has tall Norman doorway and Norman piers in the nave. Chancel mainly 15th C. Oval window at west end called the Fish Window. "Nave has a black-and-white timbered roof into which the organ in the old gallery seems to merge". (CEPC)
Mungrisdale, St Kentigern Rebuilt 1756. One of the smallest churches in the district. The box pews have been made into ordinary wooden ones. Has a panelled double-decker pulpit.
Penrith, dedication unknown The church has a panelled gallery.  (AM)
Whitehaven, dedication unknown Church dates from 1752/53 and has galleries on three sides.
Wigton, St Mary the Virgin NY256483.  
   
   

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Hawkshead, Dedication unknown In 1711 Joseph Keen was paid £2 2s for "workmanship in Church" - he was employed for about seven weeks. References to a shaped beam and 18 joists were probably for a west gallery. The 1721 accounts include 1s for "Jamers [hinges] and hanglock at stairs head", presumably gallery stairs. In 1794-5 new pews included at the west end one for churchwardens and three for the psalm-singers.

An organ was bought in 1828, then replaced later in the C19th. The restoration of 1875-6 removed both organ and gallery. The church has a pitch-pipe dated 1764, which was made by Isaac Holme, a local joiner, who died in 1789 aged 53. He was paid 7s 6d for the pipe, which has ten notes from C to E and was used until 1828 to give the keynote for the psalms.
Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -