Cheshire

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Alderley, dedication not known

18th C. west gallery

Ashton-on-Mersey, dedication not known

Massive West Gallery - "mostly 18th C.   (A M)

Astbury, St Mary

Detached 14th C. spire, stalls, rood screen, magnificent roofs with pendants, 17th C. altar rails, box pews . . . (CEPC)
Baddiley, St Michael "Painted Creed, Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Coats of Arms are dated 1663 . . . Box pews and a pretty pulpit"(CEPC)  West gallery 17th-18th C.
Birkenhead, Christ Church The church is of red sandstone from the quarries nearby and was finished in 1849. It was the largest church to be built in Wirral and was designed by Robert William Jearnard, an architect from London. It contains a west gallery and two transept galleries.
Birtles, St Catherine A "freak" church of 1840 brick in a wooded setting. Lots of Renaissance Dutch and Flemish oak, including a manorial pew. (CEPC)
Capesthorne, Holy Trinity A chapel of a great house, built 1772, of brick with stone facings. Pews face each other, college-chapel fashion, raised manorial pew at west end. (CEPC)
Chelford, dedication not known Church dates from 1776.  West gallery and Box-pews
Cholmondeley, St Nicholas Private chapel in grounds of Cholmondeley Castle. The Cholmondeley pew is called the State Gallery, its cushions being made from the robes used at the coronation of William IV. (CEPC)

Pew, screen, altar rails, galleries and box-pews  (AM)

Congleton, St Peter

Unspoilt town church of 1742. Galleries on three sides, supported on piers with columns above. Fine box-pews throughout, those in the galleries are steeply tiered. The pulpit is placed centrally in front of the Altar. (CEPC)
Holmes Chapel St Luke Roof supports date from 1425.  Church contains both west gallery, now supporting organ, and south gallery.  The south gallery was installed in 1705 as a gift from Thomas Hall shortly after the new brick walls had been built. The wooden stairway up to the gallery was originally located at the other end of the nave but was moved to this end in 1831. It was moved again to its present position in 1898 and the space behind and under it is used as the choir vestry.
Hoole, dedication not known  Has west gallery, but no further details known.
Little Budsworth St Peter 18th C. pulpit
Lower Peover St Oswald Timber-built church, with massive stone tower. The furniture is very good indeed, with box-pews, some with the lower halves of the doors fixed to retain the rushes, Jacobean rails, altar and screen. It still looks as must once have looked many Cheshire churches. (CEPC)
Malpas St Oswald A few old stalls
Mobberley, dedication not known Jacobean gallery   (AM)
Saltersford, Jenkin Chapel This remote mountain chapel looks like a converted farmhouse with a low tower added. The roof is heavy Kerridge slabs; the sash windows are square and domestic; there is a chimney stack half-way along the south wall. It was in fact built as a chapel in 1733 (tower in 1754/55) and its furniture and fittings remain intact. (CEPC)
Shotwick St Michael In a by-passed and secluded hamlet; both church and village were strategically important, and the church tower is fortress-like. Inside are twin naves separate by a low arcade, one perhaps planned as a chapel to the Virgin Mary to rival the nave proper (as was sometimes the case in other Welsh churches). Box-pews, three-decker pulpit, and a notable canopied seat for the church-wardens. (CEPC)
Siddington, dedication not known Has west gallery, but no further details known.
Stockport, St Mary Known to have galleries, but details not known.
Stockport, St Thomas Church dates from 1825 and has galleries on three sides.
Threapwood Church 1815. Three galleries.
Tushingham, St Chad Church 1689-91, small, simple and rectangular. Now a Redundant Church.

West gallery with outside stair. Gallery possibly circa 1821, as in that year the owner of the manor, Daniel Vawdrey, offered to pay for its construction. (Chatfield)
Warburton, St Werburgh A small secluded church of great interest, of timber, with some walls replaced by stonework in 1645, and some with brick in 1711. Brick tower also 1711. Constructional timbers divide off the aisles. Screen, pulpit, altar and communion rails are Jacobean; box-pews are 1813 but look earlier. (CEPC)
Woodhey, Private Chapel The house has gone, but there are still traces of the garden terrace and a great barn for the Home Farm. Circa 1700, with earlier portico. Round-headed windows of plain glass.

The chapel is tiny, but has separate entrances to the ground floor and to the manorial pew above, with its two fire-places. Panelled walls, no altar, but a notable pulpit and pews set college fashion. (CEPC)
Wrenbury, St Margaret An early 16th C. church overlooking the Village green. All conspicuously battlemented. Renovations in the 1920s and 1930s have spoilt the interior somewhat, but the box-pews remain, with crests on the pew doors, hatchments and a west gallery. (CEPC)
   
   

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Lower Peover St Oswald 17th century west gallery pulled down 1852.

Chapels which are known to have, or have had, west gallery features or connections

 Nether Tabley,  Chapel  West gallery 1675, moved 1928 - complete furnishings.  (? Is this an Anglican chapel)
   

Asterisks denote churches in preparation

 

 

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -