St Nicholas

exterior

1

The west front and tower from the High Street

This photograph © St John the Baptist's Church, taken from a postcard on sale on behalf of their church funds.
 

 

The present building dates from 1822 when it replaced an ancient building which had Saxon arches and Norman work.  The present walls follow the plan of that mediaeval church and old vaults lie beneath the present floor, while many old memorials were retained and positioned upon the modern walls.

The ancient church of St John the Baptist was probably built soon after Henry I moved the Royal Court to the Castle site from Old Windsor.  Reference to it by Henry II clearly establish that in 1184 the church had been in existence sometime, and had had previous incumbents.

By the 18th century the church was a "vast building with 10 side altars and several chantries".  In 1818 the high cost of repairs to the old building brought forward plans for a complete rebuild at a cost of 14,000.  Between 1820 - 1822 the new church was erected with Gharles Hollis the architect.  Cast iron columns and ribs support a roof of 84ft x 60 ft.  It was consecrated on June 22nd, 1822 by the Bishop of Salisbury.  The Chancel and Apse were added in 1870.
 

photo of old interior north gallery
2 3


Compare the picture of the church before the Chancel arch was opened up (2) with the modern view (4); the picture used to close the archway now hangs on the west wall over the gallery (5).

Picture (3) shows detail of the gallery on the south wall.
 

modern view looking east west gallery today
4 5


Two views internally, looking East to the Sanctuary (4), a view that shows the north and south aisles, and West to the west gallery (5).
 

6

The carved and painted Royal Coat of Arms over the door to the entrance porch, under the west gallery.
 

Dove's reference for the bells:

Windsor, Berks, S John Bapt, 8, 17-2-11 in E flat.

ACCESS

Map reference : SU968768. 

The church stands at the top of the main street which passes close beside the Castle. It is usually open during normal hours, and is staffed by a member of the congregation whose responsibility it is to guide tourists.


Photographs © 2002  - Edwin Macadam


Please see our Home Page for important copyright notice

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -