Staffordshire

If you have arrived here from a search engine, this site uses frames. If your server supports frames, link here.

You will then need to navigate back to this page using the County Index

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

*Alstonefield, St Peter Outer walls of attractive chequered sandstone and limestone. Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular inside. Excellent box-pews, including Charles Cotton's more richly done, and a two-decker pulpit. (CEPC)  West gallery ca. 1635 ? #
Baswich, Holy Trinity Church built 1739 for £336. A small brick church with mediaeval stone tower, Norman chancel arch, nave and chancel rebuilt by Richard Trubshaw in 1739-40 in red brick for 336. Georgian west gallery, three-decker pulpit, and the Levett and Chetwynd family pews just beyond the mediaeval chancel arch, one raised on spindly columns, and the other on stout Doric ones. (CEPC).  

Tomb chest (1587) with shields and 4 tapering square balusters. 

Betley, St Margaret Tower dates from 1693, the church having a timber-framed clerestory and porches. Inside are timber columns, arcades and trusses in the nave; good roof and parclose screen, 18th C. gallery and box-pews.
Bilston, St Leonard Classical church built 1826. Greek interior with galleries (Ewan Christian, 1883).
Brierly Hill, St Michael Classical built church dating from 1765. No details of interior . . 
Great Haywood, St John the Baptist (RC) Built 1828 at Tixall and moved here 1845 by the local congregation. Ornate west front with high octagonal south west turret. Straight headed, late perpendicular windows, with stone panelled dado underneath inside. Rich west gallery.
Hilderstone, Christ Church Built 1827-9 by Thomas Trubshaw. Commissioners' type church with north west steeple with recessed spire. Inside,  octagonal piers with leaf capitals. Lancet windows. Box-pews.
*Leek, St Edward the Confessor "14th C. church. Huge gallery like an escalator". (CEPC)

"Enormous west gallery, which rises tier upon tier.." Balustraded front.
*Rushton Spencer, St Laurence A church of rare individuality and interest.: gritstone and stone aisle slate, mostly 17th and 19th C. outside, with a weatherboarded bell turret and high gabled dormers. Inside, the original timber-built nave (?1203), spanned by low beams with a text in good Georgian lettering; hefty posts and struts like low, spreading trees; king posts and Gothic arched ceiling and a Georgian minstrel's gallery; Jacobean pulpit and Squire's pew, hatchments above, big Tables of the Law, and oil lamps. Everything friendly and domestic, clearly the House of God.(CEPC)

The date 1719 is carved on bench in the gallery. The west gallery is balustraded, with an internal stair. #
Sandon, All Saints Mainly 13th to 15th C. Ornate north aisle remodelled 1851 as chapel for the Earls of Harrowby. The interior is dominated by the screen supporting the elevated family pew (1782) of the Harrowbys: this and the 17th C. pulpit with tester are both good.

The family pew screen is the remodelled chancel screen. Large monument to Sampson Erdeswick, the antiquary (d.1603). Painted family tree 16th C. 17th C reredos, as also the heraldic glass in east window.
Smethwick, Old Church Georgian chapel of ease to Harborne Church. No further details . . ?
Stone, St Michael Early example of Gothic Revival style, built 1758 in grounds of earlier Augustinian Priory. Square west tower. 2 tier of windows with Y tracery along nave. 2 galleries. Original box pews. Two 17th C. tombs of Crompton family in churchyard. Classical style Mausoleum of Earl St. Vincent, Nelson's admiral, to east of church.
Wolverhampton, Collegiate Church of St Peter 15th C. central tower, otherwise mostly ca. 1480, but with Victorian chancel. The west gallery dates from 1610.
Wolverhampton, St John William Baker, 1755. Tower and octagonal spire. The interior is Doric with galleries. Renatus Harris organ originally from the temple Church, London.
 
 

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Clifton Campville, St Andrew

An 1830 report noted west gallery for singers. A further report in 1837 ordered that "the gallery be lowered or its position changed, so as not to intercept the window". Restorations 1866 and 1910/11.

Chapels, etc., with west gallery features or connections

Stafford, Society of Friends, Foregate Street

Built 1730, small single room brick building with original panelling, gallery, staircase and overseers' bench. Hiding place in roof from days of persecution.

   
Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow

-----------------

email logo

SEARCH THIS SITE

PicoSearch

 

 

  Help

This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
July 2001 -