If you have arrived here from a search engine, this site uses frames. If your server supports frames, link here.

You will then need to navigate back to this page using the County Index

Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Barlow, St Lawrence Norman and Victorian; outside stair to gallery. Gallery now removed.
Castleton, St Edmund Contains 17th C. box-pews.
Dale Abbey, All Saints Tiny church (26 ft x 25 ft) and farmhouse under one roof. Furnishings follow usual 17th C. plan - 'cupboard' altar, with pulpit (1634), and reading desk behind; box pews all round. Outside stair to gallery. #
Foremark, St Lawrence Built 1662, by Sir Francis Burdett in his park at Foremark Hall, Gothic without but Renaissance within. Most of the original furnishings: Jacobean screen, triple-decker pulpit, box-pews, communion rail by Robert Bakewell. (CEPC)
Hulland, Christ Church Pure Victorian church, built 1851, but with gallery and box-pews.
Shirley, dedication not known West tower 1861, N aisle 1842.  “The west gallery on cast-iron columns and the box-pews no doubt of 1842” (Pevsner) 
Tissington, St Mary Jacobean (?) two-decker pulpit.
Trusley, All Saints Small church built in 1713, with interior all of the same period - communion rails, three-decker pulpit, box-pews and font. The little churchyard adjoins the Hall.
Weston-on-Trent, St Mary Mostly 13th C. church, with Jacobean pulpit. A fragment of an early 16th C, monument shows a skeleton with hour-glass, pick and shovel.
Winster, dedication unknown Tower built 1711, church rebuilt 1883 and includes a west gallery  (Info: Rosie Strauss, WGMA)

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Ashbourne, dedication not known Ashbourne "Great Organ" installed 1710. Mid 18th C. a number of galleries built around nave, south aisle and transepts. 1838 new curate recorded eleven flights of steps to different lofts or galleries. On the north side of the nave was "the sixpenny gallery", sixpence being the quarterly rent to sit there. This gallery approached through what is now Beard memorial window, with a viaduct of brickwork built onto the outside and the window mullions forming the door frame. Restoration demolished lofts, which led to shortage of seating. New seating installed for 1,400, of which 400 to be free. New vicar 1850 believed church should be free for all. Led to various disputes and meetings.
Ashford-in-the-Water, Not known Gallery removed 1870.
Eyam, Not known In the 18th C. it had three galleries, which were removed in the 19th C.
Hope, Not known Has a psalm board dated 1806 with a picture of David and his harp.
Stoney Middleton, Not known Oct. nave 1759, had west gallery, removed 1861.
Taddington, Not known Singing gallery put up and taken down in the 19th C. .
Tissington, Not known Also has what looks like an early (early 18th C.?) psalm board with a picture of a harp.
Wirksworth, Not known New galleries and box pews built 1820-22; removed 1870-4
Youlgreave, Not known 1746 accounts record that "a loft for singers" was erected at the west end; thus was removed in the 1870 restoration.
Asterisks denote churches in preparation

Up Arrow


email logo






This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
© July 2001 -