Churches which still retain west gallery features or connections

Bottisham, Holy Trinity

"Perhaps the best church in the County, with stone chancel screen, and wooden parcloses. (CEPC)

Gallery 1839. (RCHME)  (No ref. in Pevsner).

Conington, St Mary

Nave rebuilt in 1737. 18th C. gallery.  (RCHME)  (No ref. in Pevsner).
Gamlingay, St Mary the Virgin 17th C. gallery,(RCHME)   made up of parts, probably of a parclose screen.
Swaffham Prior, St Cyriac There are two ruinous churches in one churchyard, overlooking the village street - St Mary and St Cyriac. The latter has box pews and a little gallery. (CEPC)
Trumpington, St Mary and St Michael Modern west gallery (after 1950), with splat balusters and used for organ.
Wimpole, St Andrew "A church in the squire's back yard". 14th C. in origin, it was almost entirely rebuilt by Flitcoft in 1749. Gallery with turned balusters, together with other fittings also of that date. Remarkable series of monuments.  (CEPC)

“Inside little survives of the good manners of the C18, and the west gallery of 1887 with its elephantiasis of Gothic forms leaves one bewildered.”   (Pevsner)

Churches which are known to have had west gallery features or connections

Cambridge, St Benedict In the 18th C. there was a west gallery with organ, as shown in a watercolour of circa 1800. Writer in Illustrated London News in 1857 called it "an ugly organ loft".

The 1830s vestry archives include "Duties and Emoluments of the Sexton", which include "To keep order in the Church and Gallerys, and attend to the opening of the Pews." The organ loft was removed in the 1860s.

In the later19th C. the "delightfully soft little organ" gave way to a harmonium. But this was merely a temporary measure. An organ was essential in the climate of the 1870s and an appeal stated that several ladies had undertaken to collect subscriptions, "feeling confident that the Parishioners and their friends will be glad to contribute liberally towards this important means of producing heartiness in the Choral portions of the service". As a result, a second hand Elliott organ was purchased, and in the 1890s the patrons agreed to the use of their seats in the chancel by a "competent surpliced choir". (Guide Book).
Wisbech, presumed to be St Peter & St Paul In the 18th C. the church had galleries on north, south and west sides, together with a second upper gallery on south side. All removed in 1857.
Asterisks denote churches in preparation


Up Arrow


email logo






This site has been constructed by, and remains the copyright of, its authors,
Edwin and Sheila Macadam,

Shelwin, 30, Eynsham Road, Botley,
Oxford OX2 9BP
© July 2001 -